How to Download Instagram Chat History on Android Devices (3 ways)
2021-07-24 By Kristen Elmes
Instagram is one of the most popular social media platforms in this generation. Tons of photos, stories and messages are sent daily among the userbase. But, it is not uncommon that users lose their chats. This can happen when they or someone else delete their messages by mistake. To counter this problem, I created this article to explain the 3 Best Methods to download Instagram chat histories. All of the methods are really easy and simple to understand.
These are the 3 free ways to download Instagram chat history:
- Free method to download Instagram chat history via TextVibes
- Download Instagram data via web browser
- Download Instagram chat histories via screenshots
1. Free method to download Instagram chat history
TextVibes is a well-known data backup service for Android and iPhone. This tool allows you to download all your previous data from Instagram and recover it easily at a later stage. You can use TextVibes to download photos, voice notes, text messages, links and attachments. This means that you can use TextVibes to easily download Instagram chat history. The process is extremely simple as you can follow the step-by-step tutorial below. There is also a YouTube video that shows you how to download your Instagram chat history on Android devices.
Step 1: Download TextVibes by logging onto your Google Play Store account and searching for "TextVibes".
Step 2: Once you have downloaded TextVibes open your Instagram application to start the download process. Instagram messages can only be downloaded from physically opening the app itself. Unfortunately you cannot download your Instagram data by not launching the Instagram app first. The reason for this is because you have to request your data from Instagram.
Step 3: Once you have opened your Instagram account look at the top right corner of your screen. Tap on the three horizontal lines that are used to represent the menu button. Once you have tapped on the menu button tap on "settings". The settings button is located at the bottom of the page as shown in the image below.
Step 4: Once you have opened your settings tap on "security". We need to do this so we can ask Instagram to download your data.
Step 5: The next step is to actually ask Instagram to download your chat history. To do this you will need to scroll down to the "Data and history" section. Once you have done that tap on "Download data". This will start the process of you downloading your Instagram chat history.
Step 6: You have now downloaded your Instagram chat history. So, you will now need to tell Instagram where they should send your chat history so you can access it. To do this you will need to request your data from Instagram. More specifically, type in the email address you want to send your chat history to. Once, you have typed in the email address that you want Instagram to send your chat history to tap on "Request Download".
Step 7: It must be noted that Instagram can take some time to send you your chat history. You will just need to be patient because it can take up to 48 hours. Once Instagram has processed your request they will send you an email. Keep your eye out on the email account you requested your chat history to be sent to because Instagram will send an email to the account you requested.
Step 8: When you receive the email from Instagram, opened it and tap on the link in the email. The link will re-direct you to a page that will show you your downloaded Instagram data files (it will look similar to something in the image below). Tap on the file name "Download data - part one" to download that file to your phone. You must select that file as that is where your Instagram chat histories are saved (Part 1). The other files contain other Instagram data, not your Instagram chat histories.
Step 9: Once you have downloaded the Part 1 zip file tap on "open" and choose "TextVibes". This will send your Instagram chat histories to TextVibes. By doing this you have backed up your chat histories securely so you can easily restore your messages at a later stage.
Step 10: You have now successfully downloaded your Instagram chat history. To access your Instagram chat histories open the TextVibes app you downloaded. All your conversations and media attachments will be saved there. Then TextVibes offers two ways to restore your chat histories. Firstly, if you want to find a chat by specific date you can do that clicking on "Pick A Day". The Calendar function allows you to scroll through the calendar and tap on the specific date that you are looking for. Secondly, if you want to get a surprise tap on "Daily Surprise". This option let's our Artificial Intelligence choose a memory from your chat histories. It will show you the memory and you will then be able to save the memory into different diaries. You can then access all the chats that you saved in your diaries easily as you can organise your chats according to different categories (person's name, different emotions or events).
2. Download Instagram data via web browser
This process will require you to manually submit a request to download data. You will then receive a link on your email that will let you download and back up your achieves. The achieve will include all your messages, photos, links, media and attachments. To download your achieves off your Instagram account follow these simple steps:
- Open your web browser and navigate yourself to https://instagram.com/download/request.
- Once you have done that type in the email address you would like your downloaded files to be sent to.
- It will also ask what information format you would like your data saved in. Both options are fine but it is recommended to use Json. Once you have entered your email address and selected your information format click on "next".
- You will then be required to enter your Instagram password to log yourself into your Instagram account (this is also done for security reasons to ensure that you only have access to data that you have a user name and password for). Once you have typed your Instagram password in click on "Request Download". You will then get a message confirming that your Instagram account is busy creating a file. Once the file has been created and Instagram has processed your request an email will be sent to the address you entered (this can take up to 48 hours).
- Keep checking your inbox for any mails from Instagram with your download link. When you receive the email from Instagram with the link, click on the link "Download Data" which will be found at the bottom of the message.
- This will re-direct you to a confirmation webpage. Again you will need to click on "Download Data" to continue. It must be noted that your download link usually only works for the next four days.
- Once your browser has completed the download process of your file. Open your Downloads folders that you can find your downloads from your web downloads.
- You should then see a ZIP file that has your user name as the title. You can click on that file to open your achieve. There will be a few different files with different sub-folders. They all contain different parts of your media including your photos, videos, achieved stories, profile picture images uploaded, direct messages to name a few.
3. Download Instagram chat histories via screenshots
The last method this article will outline is how an Android user can screenshot their chat histories to backup their messages. This method will probably be the easiest and fastest method to use. This is because people already know how to screenshot so they are more comfortable using this method. This method is the most practical method to use when you only want to save a small portion of a conversation. However, if you are wanting to save your entire chat history I do not recommend using this method. The reasons being:
- It is time consuming.
- It is not user friendly in terms of how your data is stored. More specifically, your screenshots will be saved in your photo gallery. This makes it difficult to restore your data quickly as you will need to scroll in your photo gallery until you find your screenshots.
- It will take up a lot of space in your photo gallery. So, if you are low on data storage in your phone this method is not suitable for you.
- This method will not be able to capture your voice messages/ voice notes.
However, if you are wanting to screenshot a small portion of your chat, follow this simple steps:
- Scroll through your Instagram chat to find the messages you want to save.
- Centre it to prepare the screen for your screenshot.
- Press and hold in the power button and the volume-down button at the same time.
- Depending on what type of mobile device you are using it will either create a thumbnail of the screenshot or you will be able to find the screenshot saved in your Photos app (your photo gallery on your phone).
The article above clearly showed that there is a variety of methods that you can use to download your Instagram chat histories. The article provided detailed steps for 3 free methods to download Instagram chat history on Android devices. However, regardless of the method you decide to use try make an effort to start downloading your Instagram chat histories regularly. This will benefit you in the future as you will potentially not run into a situation where you misplace a lot of your data.