How to Backup WhatsApp Messages on iPhone without iCloud [3 Ways]
2021-07-09 By Kristen Elmes
A common problem people face when wanting to backup their data through iCloud is the lack of free storage. You are limited to 5GB free iCloud storage space which you can easily run out of especially because this storage space is for all types of data. Other issues people face with iCloud when wanting to backup WhatsApp is that their backup fails or gets stuck.
When this occurs, most people start looking for alternative ways to backup WhatsApp. In this article we share different ways to backup iPhone WhatsApp without iCloud.
The table below compares 3 methods to backup WhatsApp on iPhone without iCloud
These are the 3 free ways to resolve the backup issue:
- Free Way to Backup WhatsApp on iPhone without iCloud/iTunes
- Backup WhatsApp on iPhone with iTunes (Apple’s Official Solution)
- Using Email to Backup WhatsApp without iCloud
1) Free Way to Backup WhatsApp on iPhone without iCloud/iTunes
As iCloud is a free option, I thought it would only make sense to give you insight into other free alternative solutions to backup WhatsApp data to make the comparison fair. To answer that shortly, the best free solution to back up WhatsApp data is TextVibes. TextVibes is a simple solution that is very easy to use as it lets users create a full backup of all data from WhatsApp (including pictures, voice notes, links, media and attachments).
To use this app to backup WhatsApp chats and data, follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Download and install TextVibes onto your phone and launch the program.
Step 2: Access your WhatsApp app on your phone to start the backup process from WhatsApp.
Step 3: Now you must scroll through your chats and choose which chat you want to backup. Once you have decided which chat you would like to backup, open that chat by clicking on that person's name.
Step 4: At the top of the WhatsApp chat click on the persons name. This will take you to the contacts information page.
Step 5: Scroll down to the bottom of the contact info page until you see the option "Export Chat". Click on "Export Chat" to begin backing up this chat.
Step 6: Once you have clicked on "Export Media" it will ask you if you want to attach or not attach the media of the chat. Click on attach media to ensure that all your photographs, videos, voice notes and links are backed up with your texts.
Step 7: You have now downloaded the chat history from this conversation. The next step is to share the exported file with TextVibes. The point of sharing this file with TextVibes is so you have access to your data and can view it at any stage in the future.
Step 8: So to view your data open the TextVibes app. All your texts, links and media attachments will be backed up. TextVibes let's you find a specific part of your conversations by scrolling through a calendar and selecting the date that conversation happened. To do this you must click on "Pick A Day". However, the app also gives you the opportunity to get a surprise where artificial intelligence shows you a memory hidden in your texts. If you would like to try this out click on "Daily Surprise". Both options will let you see your past text messages, save and organise them into diaries and view them in the future.
Some of this app's most notable features include the following:
- It is useful in the transfer of data from Android to iPhone or visa versa.
- Create a backup of the data on your device for free and easily restore the backup at any time.
- Free storage to backup unlimited iPhone WhatsApp messages. In Comparison to iCloud which only lets you backup 5 GB free storage and Google drive only lets you back up 15GB.
Some shortcomings of this solution:
- Currently you can only access your data backup files on the app
2) Backup WhatsApp on iPhone with iTunes (Apple’s Official Solution)
Another option that is available to backup WhatsApp is iTunes. The best thing about backing up your data with iTunes is that the backup is really easy to restore. To backup your WhatsApp data with iTunes you can follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Open up your iTunes and take a minute to make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes installed. If you don't, update your iTunes before starting to make your backup. This will help you prevent any compatibility problems.
Step 2: When you have the latest iTunes version, connect your phone to your computer using a lightning cable.
Step 3: iTunes will then detect the iPhone. When the iPhone appears in iTunes, click on the iPhone icon to start the backup process.
Step 4: Click on the “Summary” option and then click on the “Back up Now” button to start the back up process.
Make sure that you keep the phone connected to the computer until the backup process is complete. Once the backup is complete, all your data on your phone including all WhatsApp data will be backed up to your computer.
While the process of backing up WhatsApp via iTunes is a great free solution, it does have some downfalls. These include the following:
- The backup process can take a long period of time as it backs up all the data on your phone. In comparison the TextVibes option let's you back up only your WhatsApp data. This reduces the time needed to complete the backup process.
- Once the backup is done, you do not have access to the backup files and therefore you can not restore only your WhatsApp chats.
- If you restore an iTunes backup it will erase all the existing data on the phone. This means that you can lose the data that was not in the Backup.
3) Using Email to Backup WhatsApp without iCloud
If you only have a few WhatsApp chats, you can back them up easily by sending the chats to your email address (this can be done within your WhatsApp app). You can do this by choosing the chats you want to send to yourself and then you share them via email. This method also let's you to share some WhatsApp attachments to yourself. If you would like to backup your chats via email you can follow the steps below:
Step 1: Open your WhatsApp app on your phone and go onto the WhatsApp chat that you want to save or backup (You can select an individual chat or a group chat).
Step 2: Click on the title of the chat to take you to the contact info or group info of that chat. Then scroll down and click on “Export Chat”.
Step 3: It will give you the option to attach or not attach media. It must be noted that if you choose to attach media the email can sometimes be too large to send as most email servers limit the size of the email to 20MB.
Step 4: Then you can send the email to yourself. When you want to access your file again you must open the email using your email application of choice. Once your email is open you will see a draft window that will have the attached WhatsApp chat saved as a TXT file.
This method does however have a lot of shortcomings. Some of them are:
- The backup process is slightly complicated especially if you have never done it before.
- It is time consuming, especially when you have lots of chats to email to yourself.
- You are limited to the amount of media files you can include.
- You can't restore the chats back onto WhatsApp.
Most people love backing up their WhatsApp via iCloud as you can set the process up to be automatic. But as shown above, there are instances that are not suitable to use iCloud to backup WhatsApp. If you cannot backup WhatsApp to iCloud successfully, the solutions mentioned above will be useful to you.