How to Backup Instagram Chat (iOS)
2021-08-28 By Kristen Elmes
Instagram has become a hugely influential social media app which allows users to share photos and videos from smartphone to smartphone. The app is an easy to use and simple app that users enjoy as it also has a built in messaging function in the form of dm's. The app works like this: if you post a photo onto your Instagram account, other users will be able to see it on your profile. You can choose whether it is only people who following you or whether the photo is publicly visible to anyone. However, we are not here to discuss what the app can do but rather here to discuss how to backup Instagram chat from your Instagram account. Most users are actually unaware that you can now view and download your account data. Below I will be outlining different procedures you can use to backup Instagram chats.
3 methods of how to Backup Instagram chat:
- Backup Instagram chat via TextVibes (free)
- Backup Instagram chat via Instagram app
- Backup Instagram chat via web browser
1. Backup Instagram chat via TextVibes (free)
Most users do not know how to backup Instagram chat even though it's so simple. If you are using an iOS device, then your Instagram photos will be saved in a folder called Instagram. If you backup that folder you will be able to backup your Instagram photos and videos.
You can use TextVibes (below the link) to backup Instagram chat onto a secure third party app. The app let's you backup and restore your Instagram chats very easily, effectively and conveniently. The app has a lot of different features such as being able to scroll through a calendar and pick a date from the past you want to read a conversation from. It also let's you get a daily surprise in which the app picks out a memory from your chats and shows it to you. Once you have viewed the daily surprise or text messages through the calendar function you will be able to organise the chat into different digital diaries. The digital diaries let you organise your chats according to the persons name who the conversation is with, different emotions or different categories such as hard moments, medial, anniversary. This method has unlimited storage space which is also a bonus.
If you would like to save your text memories via TextVibes follow the simple steps below.
The first step you will need to do to backup Instagram chat is open your Instagram app.
Then you will need to click on the menu button which you can find at the top right hand corner of your screen. The button looks like 3 horizontal lines.
Once you have clicked on the menu button, the next thing you will need to do is tap onto settings.
Now you will need to look for "security" and tap onto security.
Once your security setting have opened you will need to scroll down until you see "Download Data" and tap onto that.
The next thing you will need to do is request your data from Instagram. Without doing this you will not be able to backup Instagram chat. So to do that click on "Request Data". This will then ask you to type in an email address to which your data will be sent to.
Now you will need to be patient. Instagram is in the process of sending you your Instagram chat data. It can take Instagram anything from 15 minutes to 48 hours to create your file. Once Instagram has created your file they will send you a notification on your Instagram app and an email to the address you specified in step 6.
Open the email sent to from Instagram and click on the button in the email that says "Download Data".
It must be noted that you will only need to download part 1. This is because your Instagram chat is saved in part 1 and the other parts contain other Instagram data such as the stories you created. Thus, it is only necessary to keep part 1 to download Instagram chats.
Once you have downloaded part 1 onto your device open your downloads folder. Look for the .zip file from Instagram in your downloads file and long press on it (hold down on it to select it). Make sure you do not unzip your file you must long press on the file so you can share it.
Once you have select the .zip Instagram file a drop down function will appear, look for "share" and tap on it.
Once you have clicked on share, all the different options as to where you can share will appear. You will need to scroll through your share options and click on TextVibes. TextVibes will take it from there. All you will need to do is open the TextVibes app and your Instagram chat will be saved there.
If you would like to follow the YouTube tutorial on how to backup Instagram chat, click on the video below.
2. Backup Instagram chat via Instagram app
- To start the process of backing up your Instagram chat you will need to log onto your Instagram app
- Then you will need to go to the Profile tab and tap on the “Cog” icon (the icon that is used to symbolise settings) to get to the “Options” page.
- Now, tap onto the button that says “Data Download” from the Options.
- Then, scroll down and click on “Request Download”.
- You will now be asked for your email address that you will like Instagram to send your data too. Once you have typed your email address in tap “Next”.
- Finally, provide your Instagram account password and click on “Request Download” to complete the procedure
- Instagram will now process your request. Once they have created your file they will email you on the email address you provided them in step 5.
3. Backup Instagram chat via web browser
- Go to your web browser and search Instagram.com from your iPhone and log in onto your Instagram account.
- Then, navigate yourself to the “Options” page and click on “Privacy and Security”.
- If you would like to view your account data then click on “view account data”. This will be found under “Account Data” section.
- Then, tap onto “View All” beside the item you wish to see.
- If you would like to download your data, then click on “Request Download” and provide your the email address you would like your data to be sent to.
- Then, click onto “Next” and provide the password that is clicked to your Instagram account and again click “Request Download”.
- Now, you need to download that backup. To do this you will first need to be patient while Instagram processes your request and creates your file. Instagram will email the backup file within 48 hours of initiation. The subject of the email will say “Your Instagram Data”. There will be a link that will be provided with it and it will say “Download Data”. If you click on that you will then be redirected to the Instagram app and from there you will go to the web browser and you will have to sign in to your Instagram account again.
- Once you have done that, you have to click on “Download Data”.
And you have now finished the back up process! Please keep in mind that the link will only work for 4 days.
Our Instagram account have a lot of important photos, video and chats and there are only a few methods you can use to back up your data. This article has provided you with three significantly efficient ways to backup Instagram chat. The first one is to use an excellent third-party software called TextVibes to backup Instagram chats and the other two is the built-in new features of the Instagram app, which allows you view and download your Instagram account data. We recommend you to go for TextVibes as it is quick, easy, reliable and secure. Go for it!